The Concordia German Language School in Kitchener is the largest Saturday German School in Canada.
The school is a part of the Waterloo Region District School Board and its curriculum adheres to the “Leitfaden” of the Federal Republic of Germany as well as to the guidelines of the Ministry of Education of Ontario. In addition, our program mirrors the Common European Framework for Languages.
There are approximately 450 students taught by 30 teachers and teaching assistants.
(Click here for a more comprehensive history of our school.)
Classes take place at:
Grand River Collegiate Institute
- From the 401 take Highway 8 towards downtown Kitchener
- From there take the Conestoga Parkway, Hwy 7 to Waterloo – stay in the right lane
- The first exit is Ottawa North – turn right and drive up Ottawa crossing River Rd.
- Turn left on Montcalm Drive, the second street after River Rd.
- Turn right onto Indian Rd
- Grand River Collegiate Institute in located on Indian Rd
The Concordia German Language School follows the principles of the Association of German Language Schools of Canada (KVDS) and therefore offers instruction at all levels from Junior Kindergarten to Adults. Everybody who is interested can enroll.
According to the charter of the KVDS a school will…
- provide instruction that is sound in methods and didactics
- follow the curriculum
- attempt to offer levels of graduation
- orient itself on the GER (The Common European Framework for Languages)
- employ suitable and qualified teachers
- admit all who want to learn German
- convey sociocultural values and knowledge of or about the German speaking areas (of Europe)
All grade levels (except JK) have two separate streams. Generally, the German stream is for students who have a working knowledge of the German language and speak it at home. The English stream is usually for those who do not use the German language at home.
All streams in elementary and secondary are taught as separate classes in separate classrooms. None are combined.
We administer the courses and the exams which are determined and granted by the Ministry of Education of the Federal Republic of Germany.
We offer a variety of extra-curricular activities:
- Junior Choir
- Arts enrichment
- Christmas arts and crafts
Visit the Goethe Institute website.
We thank them for their sponsorship.